Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.
Organization: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
Reports to: Education Officer, UNICEF
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: The National UN Youth Volunteer Advocate in Education UN Volunteer will be hosted by the UNICEF in Uganda in its Gulu office, which overseas UNICEF programme in the North and North West Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Education Officer, UNICEF Gulu and overall technical guidance of Education Specialist (Adolescent Development) based at Kampala, the UN Youth Volunteer will:
· Actively contribute to the Education programme through interventions that create opportunities for adolescents to voice their priorities, promote education and provide recommendations to decision makers.
· Offer technical support to school clubs and social network groups of vulnerable adolescents in the community.
· Participate in advocacy activities designed to influence government and other stakeholders prioritize education
· Draft communication and information materials for program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for education programs.
· Participate in task forces/ working groups and provide feedback
· Contribute to the development of human interest stories, news, information sharing in support to education programmatic work
· Support in communication/advocacy efforts: contribute to the development of innovative communication tools (infographic) to inform on emerging issues
· Participate in the promotion of innovative, cost effective and affordable models for improved learning achievement
· Support drafting of regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress
· UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
· Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the impact of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
· Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
· Build relationships with a wide range of Youth Organizations, Community-Based Organizations (CBOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to support and/or participate in community-driven voluntary activities; reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking; raise awareness in communities that will increase knowledge of issues pertaining to the UNV programme’s mandate and tis role in supporting the Mission mandate;
· Encourage, mobilize and support co-workers and fellow UN Volunteers to better understand the connections between the UNV programme’s engagement within the Mission and voluntary action;
· Contribute articles/write-ups/stories on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
· Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Key Result Areas:
· The quality of learning and learning outcomes of the disadvantaged children (ethnic minority children, children with disabilities, migrant children) are improved.
· School Clubs functioning effectively.
· Advocacy action plan with focus on prioritization of Early Learning, learning outcomes and life skills for behaviour change and HIV prevention and
· Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented in all activities throughout the assignment;
· A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNICEF National UN Youth Volunteer Advocate in Education job opportunity should have two years of experience in the area of education or related field is an advantage;
· Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
· Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
· Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
· Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
· Keen interest in and/or knowledge of education development issues, particularly education of refugee children.
· Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
· Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
· Fluency in spoken and written English language is required;
· Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others);
· UN Youth Advocates must be between 18 and 24 years for the whole duration of their assignment.
· Qualified candidates from the refugee hosting districts in West Nile Region will be given preference.
· Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
· Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
· Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
· Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
· Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working.
· Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
· Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values.
NB: United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan Nationals who wish to join the United Nations UNICEF in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd May 2018
Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.