Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Special Projects Manager
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise based in Uganda. Our mission is providing finance and support to help the self-employed own income generating assets. Our core product is a lease to own model for motorcycle taxi drivers (boda bodas) who own their own motorcycles in 19 months or less with weekly payments similar to what they otherwise pay to rent indefinitely from informal landlords. Ownership significantly increases income, job security and road safety. Tugende currently serves over 6,000 active customers in Uganda through 150+ employees across 7 branches, and 4,500 additional leases have already been fully repaid. With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
About this Role:
Tugende’s ongoing rapid growth creates immense opportunities for innovation and improvement alongside simply expanding the size of our core business streams. Because the core business is growing so quickly, sometimes our core operations teams cannot fully pursue all the exciting new ideas and opportunities we see. The Special Projects Department exists to drive Tugende’s innovation and long term growth, picking up ideas, projects and experiments that don’t yet have a permanent home in another department.
Job Summary: The Special Projects Coordinator will dynamically injects skills and resources to complement existing teams to ensure projects remain on-track. This frequently means managing entire projects from inception through closure by performing the following duties:
- Work with various departments to understand organizational needs, prioritize special projects in line with organizational objectives, and plan expected deliverables and deadlines. (20%)
- Break down special projects into manageable tasks, provide weekly updates to stakeholders, and complete expected deliverables before deadlines. (60%)
- Transfer deliverables to departments, and train teams to ensure they have the capacity to sustainably manage the special project’s output. (20%)
- The Special Projects Department is also responsible for piloting, monitoring, and incorporating new products and services into our portfolio, and the Special Projects Coordinator will play an important role in accomplishing this mission.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Tugende Special Projects Coordinator will be required to:
- Survey the needs of the Company, and brainstorm and prioritize special projects;
- Forecast project costs and draft professional proposals that justify effective use of the company’s resources;
- Monitor the progress of projects to ensure they remain on-track;
- Educate and train teams to handle projects after their handover and/or rollout.
The Coordinator will also be asked to handle product development responsibilities, such as:
- Research new products, develop comprehensive business cases, build pipelines of new customers, and manage relationships.
- Analyze the creditworthiness of potential clients and recommend leasing decisions.
- Monitor clients’ payments and ensure they remain on-track.
- Collect feedback throughout the course of new pilots and recommend product improvements to management.
Key Performance Indicators:
Ultimately, the Special Project Coordinator’s success will be measured by the quality of projects and pilots delivered. The following key metrics will be used to assess the Special Project Coordinator’s performance.
- The speed of a project’s delivery;
- The number of projects completed within a given quarter;
- The number of project tasks overdue;
- The quality of projects, where actual results are measured against expected results;
- The project’s budget variance;
- The repayment rates of customers in piloted products.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Special Projects Coordinator (Product Development) must hold a university degree in finance, economics, or business administration from a reputable institution of learning.
- Two years of project management experience with a reputable organisation, and/or
- Two years’ experience in a credit/collections role with a financial institution.
- Previous experience with credit assessment
- Strong interpersonal skills; makes clients feel comfortable from vetting through collections stages.
- Strong data analysis skills; can associate behavioral characteristics with repayment scores.
- Organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- History of planning projects and executing within set deadlines.
- Dynamic, innovative, and able to remain calm in a frequently-changing environment
- Advanced MS Office and Google Suite user, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, Sheets, Docs, and Slides.
- Ability to ride a motorcycle (preferred).
- Professionalism: Maintains professionalism when corresponding and negotiating with partners/suppliers. In addition being Empathetic and personable when dealing with applicants and borrowers.
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 15th June, 2018