- Company: Makerere University
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda – Education Jobs in Uganda
Makerere University is currently governed by the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001, of the Republic of Uganda (as amended). The University, with the main campus located on Makerere hill, has another campus in Jinja town and several affiliated institutions. Its enrolment currently stands at over 35,000 students in 310 Undergraduate and Postgraduate academic programmes in the sciences and humanities disciplines.
We are seeking applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to take up the position of Deputy Vice
– Chancellor (Academic- Affairs) and Deputy Vice Chancellor (Finance and Administration). As members of the University Executive, reporting to the Vice Chancellor, both Deputy Vice
– Chancellors are expected through influence and example to help develop, lead and promote the University’s strategic vision and to position Makerere University for the challenges of the next decade. These are senior leadership position in one of the most reputable institutions of higher learning in Africa.
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance and Administration)
The Deputy Vice
- Chancellor (Finance and Administration), will report to and assist the Vice
- Chancellor in the performance of his or her functions and in that regard shall oversee the finances and administration of the University and be responsible for the strategic direction, planning and development of the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
She/ he shall be responsible for:
- Effective mobilization and management of the University’s financial resources;
- Effective leadership of the University’s human resources;
- Overseeing the assets of the University;
- Strategic planning, budgeting and development of the University;
- Implementation of investment policies and programmes of the University;
- Security matters;
- Procurement matters; and
- Perform other functions as may be delegated to him / her by the Vice
- Chancellor or assigned by the University Council.
He/ She should:
- Hold a PhD or other academic Doctorate;
- Be at least at the level of Associate Professor in an institution whose academic ranking is comparable with Makerere University or should be at a position one level below the policy making organ in a reputable Organization;
- Be aged from 40 up to 65 years at the time of application; d) Be a Ugandan Citizen;
- Must be of high integrity and have a good track record.
- He/ She should have a minimum managerial and leadership experience of five (5) years obtained from reputable academic/ financial/ corporate/ private institutions.
Must have the following attributes:
- High level of maturity;
- Experience of strategic leadership and management in a reputable university or equivalent in a Government or reputable organization;
- Evidence of management of both human and financial resources in a large reputable organization.
- Evidence of preparing grant winning proposals;
- Global outlook in Higher Education policy and environment;
- Demonstrate evidence of negotiation skills;
- Excellent communication skills and public relations;
- Demonstrate evidence of team leadership;
- Demonstrate evidence of ability to handle the staff and students community;
- Ability to comprehend and implement the strategic plan of the University;
- Good financial management track record and evidence of resource mobilization and management;
- Evidence of involvement in leadership of investment projects; and
- Evidence of experience in strategic planning and budgeting.
An attractive remuneration package that is in accordance with the University terms of service.
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
Five (5) year contract.
EQUALITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION:
Makerere University is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from female candidates and persons with disabilities are encouraged.
Candidates who are interested in any of the above position are invited to submit their applications together with the following: – A letter of motivation; – Detailed and updated curriculum vitae signed and dated by the candidate; – A written statement of interest not exceeding 1000 words about the candidate’s vision for a competitive university in the 21st Century; – Names and addresses of three (3) referees who should forward their reports directly to the Academic Registrar, Makerere University under Confidential Cover not later than Monday 15th October, 2018 at 5.00pm. Referees should attest to the candidate’s high academic credentials, managerial and financial capacity and integrity; – Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates; and – Certified copies of the applicant’s birth certificates or the bio data page of their Passports or National Identity card. Sealed applications should be forwarded under confidential cover and reach the Office of the Academic Registrar not later than Monday 15th October, 2018 at 5.00 p.m., East African time. The envelopes should be clearly marked “APPLICATION FOR POSITION OF DEPUTY VICE – CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC AFFAIRS) or DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION)” on the top right corner. Candidates should apply for ONE POSITION ONLY. Applications sent by electronic media (e – mail) to firstname.lastname@example.org will also be accepted, provided the application has been duly signed and scanned. Incomplete applications and or applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered after the closing date and time. All applications should be addressed to: The Academic Registrar Makerere University, P.O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda Or E – Mail: email@example.com (For Applications Only) Or hand – delivered: At the 6th Floor Room 602, Senate Building, Makerere University. For inquiries: Contact Landline Telephone number: + 256-414-534343/530231-2 Alfred Masikye Namoah ACADEMIC REGISTRAR ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE POSITION OF: 1. DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC AFFAIRS) 2. DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR (FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION) Makerere University 1. POST: DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC AFFAIRS) 2. POST: DEPUTY VICE – CHANCELLOR (FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION)