- Company: Makerere University
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education Jobs in Uganda
Makerere University is currently governed by the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001, of the Republic of Uganda (as amended). The University, with the main campus located on Makerere hill, has another campus in Jinja town and several affiliated institutions. Its enrolment currently stands at over 35,000 students in 310 Undergraduate and Postgraduate academic programmes in the sciences and humanities disciplines.
We are seeking applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to take up the position of Deputy Vice
– Chancellor (Academic- Affairs) and Deputy Vice Chancellor (Finance and Administration). As members of the University Executive, reporting to the Vice
– Chancellor, both Deputy Vice
– Chancellors are expected through influence and example to help develop, lead and promote the University’s strategic vision and to position Makerere University for the challenges of the next decade. These are senior leadership position in one of the most reputable institutions of higher learning in Africa. \
The Deputy Vice
– Chancellor (Academic
– Affairs) shall be responsible for the Academic Affairs of the University. He or She will, in the absence of the Vice
– Chancellor, perform the functions of the Vice
– Chancellor and such other functions as may be delegated to him or her by the Vice Chancellor and the University Council.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the Academic Affairs of the University;
- Deputize the Vice Chancellor;
- Oversee programmes and policies that promote academic excellence at the University;
- Ensure quality of academic programmes;
- Oversee proper planning and coordination of undergraduate and postgraduate academic programmes;
- Coordinate curriculum development; g) Ensure optimal utilization of teaching, research and library facilities; and
- Perform any other function as may be delegated by the Vice
- Chancellor or assigned by the University Council.
- Hold a PhD or other academic Doctorate;
- Be at the level of at least Associate Professor in an institution whose academic ranking is comparable with Makerere University;
- Be aged from 40 up to 65 years at the time of application;
- Be a Ugandan Citizen;
- Must be of high integrity and have a good track record.
She/ He should have a minimum senior managerial and leadership experience of five(5) years obtained from reputable academic institutions
Academic Attributes/Competencies: Candidates should provide evidence of the following:
- Teaching in a reputable University for at least 10 years;
- Supervision of at least 8 masters students in a reputable academic institution comparable to Makerere University, to completion;
- At least 10 reputable peer reviewed publications;
- Capacity to prepare grant winning proposals;
- International recognition and networks in areas of specialization;
- High level of Maturity
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and competencies;
- Demonstrate evidence of negotiation skills;
- Excellent communication skills and public relations;
- Demonstrate evidence of ability to understand and manage the teaching and learning processes;
- Demonstrate evidence of team leadership;
- Proven ability to handle the staff and student community;
- Knowledge of laws and policies governing Higher Education in Uganda;
- Ability to comprehend and implement the Strategic Plan of the University;
- Evidence of capacity to mobilize and manage financial resources;
- Evidence of experience in planning and budgeting.
An attractive remuneration package that is in accordance with University terms of service.
Tenure of Appointment
Five (5) years contract.
Candidates who are interested in any of the above position are invited to submit their applications together with the following: – A letter of motivation; – Detailed and updated curriculum vitae signed and dated by the candidate; – A written statement of interest not exceeding 1000 words about the candidate’s vision for a competitive university in the 21st Century; – Names and addresses of three (3) referees who should forward their reports directly to the Academic Registrar, Makerere University under Confidential Cover not later than Monday 15th October, 2018 at 5.00pm. Referees should attest to the candidate’s high academic credentials, managerial and financial capacity and integrity; – Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates; and – Certified copies of the applicant’s birth certificates or the bio data page of their Passports or National Identity card. Sealed applications should be forwarded under confidential cover and reach the Office of the Academic Registrar not later than Monday 15th October, 2018 at 5.00 p.m., East African time. The envelopes should be clearly marked “APPLICATION FOR POSITION OF DEPUTY VICE – CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC AFFAIRS) or DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION)” on the top right corner. Candidates should apply for ONE POSITION ONLY. Applications sent by electronic media (e – mail) to firstname.lastname@example.org will also be accepted, provided the application has been duly signed and scanned. Incomplete applications and or applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered after the closing date and time. All applications should be addressed to: The Academic Registrar Makerere University, P.O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda Or E – Mail: email@example.com (For Applications Only) Or hand – delivered: At the 6th Floor Room 602, Senate Building, Makerere University. For inquiries: Contact Landline Telephone number: + 256-414-534343/530231-2 Alfred Masikye Namoah ACADEMIC REGISTRAR ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE POSITION OF: 1. DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC AFFAIRS) 2. DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR (FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION) Makerere University 1. POST: DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC AFFAIRS) 2. POST: DEPUTY VICE – CHANCELLOR (FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION)