- Company: Food for the Hungry (FH)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Uganda
Food for the Hungry (FH) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH’s primary goal is to respond to development needs and complex humanitarian emergencies. FH is currently operating programs in more than 26 countries and has national offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Korea, United States of America and Japan. In Uganda, FH is operational in the communities of Pader, Kitgum, Lamwo, Agago, Kole, Kween, Mbale, and Mukono Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located it Kampala.
Job Summary: The IT Coordinator is mandated to control IT budget for the FHU in areas of hardware purchase and deployment, hardware maintenance, connectivity costs, software purchase and maintenance etc. The IT Coordinator is required to produce reports that feed into the Regional IT report. The IT Coordinator is also required to produce reports to the Director of Finance and Operations providing an update on the status of IT services in the organization. The IT Coordinator assists in the management and mitigation of risks associated with Information and Communications Technology. Such risks are in the areas of connectivity failures, safety of IT assets, safety of organization and user data, disasters affecting IT services both natural and man-made, misuse of internet and email facilities by staff that leads to loss of productive hours and inadequate bandwidth. The position has a country level organizational reach which ensures that IT services are running to the required standards country wide.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Infrastructure Maintenance and Support (60%)
- Provide IT management support for all FH staff including hardware, software, network, connectivity issues, support tools, and other MIS systems.
- Provide maintenance and security of all network systems, servers, computers, and all other ICT related equipment.
- Provide day-to-day guidance and management on technical activities for other IT associates, interns in head office and field sites
- Work in close collaboration with the Global IT office to maintain a secure network, identify and recommend any change in IT that might be required to improve organization performance
- Test systems and applications including installations and repairs of operating systems (Win/7/8/10, Ubuntu Linux), Office suite packages (MS Office/OpenOffice/LibreOffice), network monitoring and other software applications
- Maintain and regularly update thorough documentation relating to the network configuration and its administration, update/register inventory of all computer equipment including software used in all sites.
- Provide quick response to users’ requests for help, diagnose problem, provide resolution to staff using email, phone, remote access software or in-person when available
- Provide users with information on how to avoid the same issue in the future and how to troubleshoot issues for themselves
- Ensure that users’ systems are ready and able to accomplish the goals of the user, including connecting to all centrally provided tools and services
- Manage and implement a data backup system with standard procedures and ensure all precautions are taken concerning sensitive information
- Maintain updates of antivirus software on all computers for protection and follows the standard maintenance check list for periodic checks of machines
- Prepare reports of work and activities to be reviewed by supervisor.
- Efficient management of IT resources from purchase to end of life phase with proper documentation
Identify and document best practices for technology users (15%)
- Listen to understand users’ ministry goals and technical needs
- Suggest more effective ways for users to accomplish their ministry goals by utilizing technology
- Document and update technology policies, procedures and “How-To” guides
Communicate to increase end-user awareness and ability to use technology tools and resources (25%)
- Ensure that all users have up to date information about how to utilize their technology most effectively
- Monitors proper implementation of FH Uganda ICT Policy
- Organize and train staff on computer care, usage and new technologies
- Proactively engage with end-users and user training experience.
- Assist and equip end users in finding appropriate training resources
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a university degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related technology degree
- Six years of experience with extensive knowledge in networking, system administration, computer maintenance and user support or directly related training; or a combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience working for NGOs an asset, particularly international and/or health related NGOs. A postgraduate degree in IT is an added advantage.
- LAN administration experience, system administration, including maintenance and installation of all network equipment including switches, routers, gateways, firewalls
- Cisco CCNA/CCNP, MCSE or other certifications/trainings in Information Technology desirable
- ICT Project planning and management
- Trainings on advanced/specialized computer applications are advantages
- Experience in other desktop, web based software and tools, email systems, open source, customized applications are all advantages
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organized, rigorous, self-motivated, strong sense of responsibility, ability to work independently
- Capacity for analysis, synthesis and reporting of large amounts of information
- Willingness to travel to field sites
- Has a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Food for the Hungry
- Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Food for the Hungry
- Must be able to work in a cross cultural environment. Must be able to communicate effectively with supervisor and staff stationed in US and other countries on a regular basis.
- Strength and discipline to refuse requests and temptations to cheat, abuse the policies of FH, FH equipment and/or government regulations.
- Strong analytical ability to resolve complex technical issues in addition to effective communication and customer care skills
- Must be goal-oriented and proactive with a relentless focus on results
- Must have demonstrated ability to quickly and independently get tasks done on short deadlines with attention to details and quality
- Ability to reason logically and make decisions in difficult situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to sit at a computer for 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard
- Ability to travel to the field with sometimes limited resources and housing
- Must be flexible in work schedule and willing to be available sometimes at non-standard hours
- Fluency in English
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Project and general management skills
- Capability to coordinate and cooperate within interdisciplinary teams
- Able to prioritise work effectively for execution with limited resources
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Problem solving and decision making
- Strong negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting only electronic copies of not more than 2MB of an application letter, a detailed CV, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant testimonials/certificates, names/contact details of three referees, addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Food for the Hungry Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 2nd October 2018