- Company: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Uganda
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to – carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets – Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Mechanical Engineer will ensure that the mechanical elements of the power plant run smoothly to generate power. He checks machines and machine components, tests their efficiency and makes repairs wherever necessary and suggests improvements of machines for better performance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the reading and interpretation of blueprints, technical drawings, schematics and computer generated reports.
- Conferring with other engineers and personnel of the power plant to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions and provide technical information for improvement of maintenance.
- Researching and analyzing design proposals, specifications and manuals and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost and maintainability and applicability of such proposals.
- Specifying system components or proposing modifications to plant designs while ensuring conformance with engineering designs and performance specifications of the power plant.
- Apply knowledge of engineering principles to design, evaluate and make changes to installations with the view of improving performance or providing solution to a problem- engineering solutions.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operations and come up with recommendations for maintenance crew.
- Assist drafters in developing structural design changes in the plant using computer- assisted design/drafting equipment and software.
Oversee installations of mechanical plant and equipment, oversees all routine maintenance and repairs at the power plant and makes report to the central maintenance management for planning of long outages and overhauls.
- Ensuring that the safety precautions are followed at the place of work.
- Training entry level maintenance engineers.
- Complying with the codes by adhering to requirements, advising senior management on needed action.
- Maintains supply inventory by checking mechanical material stock to determine inventory levels, anticipating needed supplies.
- Enhances facilities supplies and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL) Mechanical Engineer job placement must hold an upper second Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, production engineering, manufacturing engineering or similar. Post graduate diplomas and certificates in other fields of engineering such as mechatronics, automation etc. is an added advantage.
- Three years of working at a power plant, heavy manufacturing Industry, processing plant, a major repair workshop or similar work places are needed for this position.
- Excellent knowledge regarding machines, spares, operations and maintenance. Excellent observation skills.
- Excellent analysis skills.
- A sound knowledge regarding safety measures.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work under stress and be on call at any time.
- Good leadership, communication and motivation skills.
- Ability to work in a team hands on as well as lead it.
- Must be highly organized, systematic and precise in work.
- Good computer skills in related software application.
- Sound appreciation of use of Engineering Standards
- Age: Below 35 years
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Human Resource Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
Block C, Plot 6-9 Victoria Office park, Okot Close, Bukoto,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Attach all documents as one pdf and please indicate the position title as subject of the Email)
Deadline: 29th October 2018