- Company: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Human Rights Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Keenly reviews, monitors and evaluates activities relating to the implementation of international human rights instruments, including recommendations of treaty bodies and mechanisms of the Human Rights Council.
- Supports the work of treaty-established bodies and extra-conventional mechanisms and special procedures.
- The jobholder prepares relevant human rights parts of reports for the General Assembly, HRC, etc. notes on the status of ratification of human rights instruments, etc.
- Works with UN and non-governmental programmes in the country/region to integrate human rights, including their gender dimensions in their programs; helps design and implements the human rights program and designs the organization and focus of the evaluation.
- Ensures up-to-date information regarding substantive matters in the field of human rights and makes recommendations on actions to take.
- Makes contact with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters; brief representatives and provides, as appropriate suggestions and recommendations.
- Supports country military and police to develop and implement a training program in the field of human rights, international humanitarian law, democracy and the rule of law, with attention to gender perspectives.
- Serves as the team leader with responsibility for carrying out, in consultation with the Head of Office, work coordination and administrative functions relating to the staff, planning and budget.
- Trains and supervises new/junior staff.
- Performs any other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Human Rights Officer job opportunity should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the human rights field or related areas is required.
- Previous experience in human rights monitoring, reporting and capacity building and implementing technical cooperation projects is required. Human rights training experience is desirable.
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise. Is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 23rd October2018