- Company: Capital Markets Authority (CMA)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Uganda
The Capital Markets Authority ( CMA ) is an autonomous body, established in 1996 under_ the Capital Markets Authority Act (Cap 84) to promote, develop and regulate the capital markets industry. CMA is governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Minister of Finance, Planning and Economic Development. The CMA is mandated by law to:
- Approve prospectuses and other offering documents under which securities are offered to the public;
- Develop the capital markets through removal of impediments and the creation of incentives for longer term investments in productive enterprises.
- Create, maintain and regulate a market in which securities can be issued and traded in an orderly, fair and efficient manner.
- Cooperate with, any foreign regulatory authority in the performance of its duties; »
- implement regional and international standards and best practice in securities markets, securities regulation and supervision;
- Protectinvestors; and
- Operate an investor compensation fund.
The CMA Act was amended in May 2016 (being the second amendment since 1996).The work ofthe CMA is also governed by the Securities Central Depositories Act, 2009 and the collective investment Schemes Act,2003.
To deliver on its mandate efficiently and effectively, CMA is seeking to hire qualified and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position;
Job Title: Legal Officer
Reports to: Director Legal & Board Affairs
Job Purpose: The job holder will provide technical support in the delivery of legal advisory services, conduct research for the development of laws aimed at ensuring the capital market in Uganda is safe, efficient and vibrant.
Key Responslibilities/ Deliverables
- Undertake legal research to support the review and development of capital markets laws
- Draft legal instruments for the Authority e.g. service contracts and Memoranda of Understanding
- Provide legal advice, and prepare legal briefs and opinions;
- Provide board secretarial support services as may be assigned;
- Organize stakeholder engagements for the review and development of the legal and regulatory framework;
- Represent the Authority in courts of law and other dispute resolrrtlon lora where necessary;
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time which may include but will not be limited to serving as Secretary to the Contracts Committee.
Education and Training: An honors Bachelors degree in Law lrom a recognized institutionl University and a postgraduate diploma in legal practice is required. A relevant Masters’ degree will be an added advantage.
Skills and Experience: At least three years of relevant post-qualification work experience from a reputable organization, preferably in a regulatory or financial services sector. Experience in developing. implementing and enforcing securities legal and regulatory framework, legislative drafting, compliance and company secretarial practice will be an added advantage.
Business Behavior and Personal Attributes applicable
- Ability to handle a diverse workload and multiple simultaneous activities under minimum supervision;
- Self-motivated and results driven with ability to deliver effectively under pressure;
- Ability to work within and with teams
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong ability to persuade all levels of management and external stakeholders;
- Strong communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to interpret legislation and policy;
- Good legal drafting skills
Interested candidates should hand deliver or email, their applications together with a recent CV (with at least three referees), and copies of relevant academic transcripts and/ or certificates by Friday 02nd November 2018, by 5:00PM to: The Director, Corporate Services Capital Markets Authority 8th Floor, Jubilee Insurance Center Plot 14 Parliament Avenue P.O Box 24555, Kampala Email: email@example.com A competitive remuneration commensurate with experience shall be paid to the successful candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Your application will only be reviewed if you have fulfilled all the above stated requirements, including submission of documents in standard file types, namely Microsoft Word (doc or docx) and Adobe Acrobat (pdf) in a single attachment, and should not exceed 10MB. Zipped files, Links and! or multiple attachments are not acceptable.