- Company: Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP) is a private-not-for profit Company under Makerere University. MJAP works to build partnerships and strengthen health systems to optimally respond to HIV/AIDS, TB and other diseases of public health importance in Africa.
Job Summary: The Finance and Operations Manager will provide oversight to the management of all the project financial and operational resources and ensure that the project’s financial resources and assets are adequate for effective implementation of the planned activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project management and Operations
- Develop, Review and monitor implementation of financial management, Procurement, Administrative, ICT and Logistical systems, policies and procedures and ensuring compliance with donor financial and Operational guidelines and the internationally recognized accounting principles (GAAP).
- Set direction of the Organization’s Operations department by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to the Organizational wide strategy development.
- Provide administrative oversight to the operations, procurement Logistics and administrative functions and ensure a well-coordinated functioning system to support smooth implementation and achievement of the project goals and targets.
- Ensure that MJAP contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Ugandan law and MJAP/donor policies.
- Ensure internal and donor procedures, policies and guidelines are followed.
Budgeting and Financial management
- Ensure Guarantee that all approved program budgets are uploaded into the computerized financial management system and well managed; by monitoring expenditure as per approved activities and section budgets.
- Provide technical support for the review of sub grantees’ work plans to ensure that their funds are effectively and efficiently utilized in compliance with donor guidelines.
- Develop and implement a tracking system for enhancing accurate and timely financial reporting and accountability of all the sub grantees; and address any anticipated gaps that may lead to delayed or poor accountability, including funds recovery measures in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Maintain a financial system that provides sufficient audit information and tracking of all the expenditure and documentation of all the sub-grantees.
- Continuously monitor the availability of financial resources for program implementation, and take necessary measures to ensure adequacy of the resources.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Support the budgetary process of sub-grantees, approve their periodic budgets & work plans; and monitor timely disbursements of funds as per the approved budgets according to donor regulations and the signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs).
- Serve as main contact with donors and fund managers for contract and grant negotiation and take lead in coordination and information sharing on resources.
- Develop and monitor the implementation of the project Grants and contract management work plan, procurement plan and budget in in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Develop a system for conducting risk assessment of all sub awardees according to the perceived risk; and implement measures to address any challenges that may affect the grant implementation.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall program targets and donor obligations are met.
- Lead and develop the capacity of the program’s operational Team.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect that empowers team members to strive and achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback to team members via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Commerce (Accounting)
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Financial management (Accounting),
- Professional qualification such as: ACCA, CMA, CPA or MCIPS) with membership to a professional body.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in managing donor funds, preferably with large and complex grants and knowledge of CDC USG contract and grant compliance requirements.
- Specific experience in managing CDC/USG agreements and the financial reporting requirements; and sub-grants management protocols.
- Applied knowledge in budget development, project management, contracts management, financial management, grants management procurement.
- Ability to ensure timely submission of financial reports per the required financial procedures and CDC/USG requirements.
- Ability to manage funds, logistics and human resources in accordance with CDC /USG guidelines.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, prioritization and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently as well as thrive in teams
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated organizational and coordination skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, with ability to understand and operate the Sun accounting software system.
ll suitably qualified and interested candidates should email their applications, detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant academic documents addressed to: The Human Resource Manager, Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP) via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please indicate the position and region you’re applying for in the subject. Your attachments should not exceed 5MB.
Deadline: 30th October 2018 by 5:00pm