- Company: Sightsavers UK
- Location: Central Region, Uganda
- State: UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education Jobs in Uganda – Healthcare Jobs in Uganda
Sightsavers is an International Development Organization which works with partners to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote equality of opportunity for people with disabilities in over 33 developing countries across Africa, Asia and America. Sightsavers seeks to achieve a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes and where visually impaired people participate equally in society. Each year, we improve the lives of millions of people in the poorest parts of the world. Sightsavers offers a great place to work within easy reach of London and Brighton.
Job Summary: The Project Coordinator EU Economic Empowerment of YWDs Project provides leadership and operational oversight for the implementation of the project, and specifically the implementation of the Annual Operational Plan. The project is being implemented in five targeted districts with the aim of increasing the employability of YWDs and contributing to poverty reduction.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project development and delivery: 40 %
- Coordinating activities of the EU Economic Empowerment of YWDs project.
- Developing annual operational plans and managing the budget allocated to the project ensuring that agreed results are delivered in time and within the budget available
- Contributing to reviewing and updating the project strategy in line with changes/dynamics in the field.
- Ensuring that we are appropriately accountable to the district local governments of the five targeted districts and comply with the provisions of the NGO Act.
- Identifying and effectively managing all risks that would potentially affect project implementation and the project outcomes.
Programme partnership management: 20 %
- Tasked with developing and maintaining an effective partnership with implementing partners (NUDIPU, NOWODU, UNAB), vocational training institutions, district local governments and other relevant government institutions.
- Ensuring that project partners are supported to deliver high quality project outputs on a timely basis.
- Supporting partners in the identification of their capacity building needs and helping facilitate the building of these capacities.
- Organizing quarterly and annual review meetings/workshops to coordinate project implementing partners and encouraging networking and collaboration amongst implementing partners.
Financial Management: 20%
- Preparing annual project budgets and quarterly financial forecasts and monitoring expenditure against budget
- Ensuring that partners submit timely funding requests and financial returns.
- Ensuring that partners manage and utilise project assets as per Sightsavers’ and EU contract and procedures incorporated under Royal Charter Registered Charity Nos. 207544 & SC038110 Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind
- Managing partner contracts/MOU and ensuring partners’ compliance to the terms and conditions of the grant as agreed with Sightsavers and EU.
- With oversight from the Sightsavers Finance Focal Person for Uganda, ensuring compliance to statutory requirements relating to labour laws and taxation
- Following up with partners any actions arising from audits carried out by Sightsavers country office or by external auditors.
Monitoring, evaluation and learning: 15 %
- Assessing performance against agreed project objectives, indicators and standards/ approaches.
- Documenting success stories and case studies on project impact and disseminating to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensuring accurate, sufficient and timely flow of information and progress reports (narrative and financial) to the country office.
- Identifying research opportunities and documenting lessons learned from monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment and dissemination findings.
- Coordinating evaluations
Information & Communication Management: 5%
- Participating in PR activities within the project area.
- Representing the project at various fora, meetings and advocate for the project aims and objectives within the project districts
- Attending to visitors to and from the projects and partners.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Sightsavers Project Coordinator, EU Economic Empowerment of YWDs should possess a University degree in one of the following fields; Social Sciences, Development Studies, Public Health, Education or other related field
- Substantial working experience, ideally in an NGO environment
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of all aspects of programme and project management
- Experience in dealing with district local governments and local and international organisations, and other partners
- Knowledge of gender and disability is desirable
- Demonstrable experience in the field of economic empowerment, rural development and livelihoods
- Ability to understand and work with project budgets, forecasts and reports
- Excellent project management, partnership management and team leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and communication (both oral and written) skills with good command of the English language.
- Excellent computer skills especially word-processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, email and internet use.
- Ability to understand and work with project budgets and monitor financial expenditure.
- Intercultural knowledge and sensitivity
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic and conflict resolution skills
- Team player and good communicator with a proven ability to motivate people
- Good written and spoken English
- Ability to spend up to 50% of his/her time in the field to support partners
Deadline: 25th October 2018