- Company: Teach A Man To Fish
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Communication Jobs in Uganda
Teach A Man To Fish is a UK founded charity organization whose mission is to address global youth unemployment and poverty by providing practical, relevant education to young people in developing countries. We support schools to set up school businesses which provide hands-on training and experience for pupils. This boosts quality of education and employability – bridging the gap between education and the workplace – so that students leave school with the right skills to get a good job or run their own successful business. We are a small organisation with big reach – since 2006 we have brought the pioneering school business model to more than 100 countries, reaching over 80,000 beneficiaries and supporting them to reach their full potential in work and in life. In 2017, through the School Enterprise Challenge programme, Teach A Man To Fish worked in partnership with 16 partner NGOs to deliver the programme to 500+schools, impacting over 40,000 young people in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania.
Job Summary: The SEC East Africa Communications and Engagement Officer will play a lead role in delivering communications activities for our flagship programme, the School Enterprise Challenge, in East Africa. Teach A Man To Fish is a small international development charity with a big impact, providing entrepreneurship education to young people across the developing world. Reporting to the SEC East Africa Programme Manager, the post will play a central role developing and delivering an effective communications and engagement strategy to support the delivery of the School Enterprise Challenge programme to 500+ schools across Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Working as part of a team of 8, you will have direct responsibility for managing two volunteers. You will be a confident communicator with the capability to use a wide variety of communication tools and a track record of contributing to effective marketing and communication campaigns. You will be passionate about entrepreneurship and have a strong understanding of the diverse context of education in Uganda and the best ways to engage stakeholders at each level. You will possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral and a strong eye for detail. Results driven and possessing strong planning skills, you will the ability to anticipate, coordinate effectively and manage your team to deliver communications across a range of platforms to multiple stakeholders within tight timelines. You will be adept at developing compelling stories and campaign messages to engage and motivate programme participants. The ideal candidate will possess 3 years’ experience in a Comms role or similar and will be able to demonstrate evidence of success. Experience in contributing to the development of communications and engagement strategy and policy documents would be an advantage.
Teach A Man To Fish is a fast-growing organisation with an ambitious plan for scale-up across the region. This is a fantastic opportunity for an outstanding candidate to join a growing organisation and contribute significantly to our exciting growth plans.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support SEC EA Programme Manager to set annual targets for communications for SEC Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Lead on delivery of annual communications targets, review progress regularly and proactively manage line reports to achieve targets.
- Lead on marketing SEC programme to schools across Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania and contribute to achieving registration targets
- Lead on delivery of all comms activities in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Ensure e-mails, SMS, phone calls and WhatsApp communications delivered according to work plan, with consistent, accurate messaging
- Develop and deliver 3 Newsletters per year for SEC Uganda and SEC Kenya (3 newsletters per programme)
- Coordinate updating of comms tracker in accurate and timely manner. Flag to EA programme manager in line with agreed deadlines.
- Coordinate with SEC Uganda and Kenya volunteer and field officers to ensure effective delegation of comms activities to achieve weekly comms targets
- With support from SEC EA programme manager, adapt and develop communication trackers and tools (trainings, guides etc.) to country context. Review tools for efficiency, feedback learning and ensure continuous development of tools and systems for effective communications and engagement. Ensure consistent high level of quality and accuracy across all materials.
- Lead on organisation and delivery of annual SEC awards event(s) at national and regional level. Ensure delivery of high quality, efficiently organised event which contributes to re-registration targets and development of strategic partnerships and SEC brand
- Lead on printing of all comms materials, training resources, business guides, certification and M&E materials. Coordinate with SEC Uganda and Kenya volunteer to effectively delegate printing activities and ensure materials printed on time with 100% accuracy in line with programme requirements. Proactively negotiate discounts for printing of TAMTF materials.
- Occasionally support SEC EA programme officer to deliver trainings. Occasionally support M&E Officer to deliver M&E activities.
- Manage, coach and empower Uganda and Kenya volunteers. Officer. Capacity build staff and ensure quality volunteer experience.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Teach A Man To Fish SEC East Africa Communications and Engagement Officer job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Mass Media, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- Evidence of completion of additional communications training courses
- Two years of experience in either an NGO, social enterprise or corporate setting, with significant of responsibility for comms and/or marketing
- Proven track record of contributing to effective communication and/or marketing campaigns
- Experience of using a range of communications platforms including mass mailing applications, WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter
- Experience of producing newsletters and articles
- Experience of direct marketing (telephone/face-to-face)
- Results-driven and able to meet ambitious targets
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Strong organisational skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Knowledge of communications and engagement strategies and trends
- Ability to effectively manage and delegate within a team
- Understanding of the Ugandan education system, stakeholders and appropriate engagement strategies for the different levels
- Strong sense of initiative and an entrepreneurial approach to working
- High level of competency in Microsoft Office programs, web-based e-mail applications and social media
- Line management experience
- Experience of working in or managing projects in an educational setting
- Experience of developing communication plans and strategies
- Experience of using and developing communication tools and trackers
- Experience of business development in a commercial setting
- Experience of using monitoring tools and trackers to document and analyse communications
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a 4-paged resume and a one page cover letter (combined into a single PDF document). Please be sure to clearly show in your cover letter why you are interested in this job and what makes you the most suitable candidate. Please also include your salary history. Complete applications should be sent to email@example.com with “Application: Comms Officer” in the title of the email.
NB: Do not attach academic documents at this point. We anticipate a large number of applications and as such only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
Deadline: 2nd November 2018