- Company: United Nations
- Location: Entebbe, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Entebbe, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Driving Jobs in Uganda – Logistics Jobs in Uganda
Job Opening Reference: RSCE/GJO/009/11/2018
Type of contract: Fixed-Term Appointment
Duration: 1 year (subject to renewal)
Department: MONUSCO-Entebbe Support Base
Scheduled date for taking up appointment: ASAP
Title: Associate Transport Officer
Duty Station: Entebbe,Uganda
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ISA LOCALLY-RECRUITED POSITION, RESTRICTED TO UGANDAN NATIONALS AND/OR LEGAL RESIDENTS OF UGANDA
Women are strongly encouraged to apply Equally-qualified female candidates will be given priority for selection (DPKO Under-Secretary General‘s Policy Statement on Gender Mainstreaming).
Org. Setting and Reporting .
This position is within the Transport Section of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in DRC (MONUSCO), located in the Entebbe Support Base. The Transport Ofﬁoervnll report to the Chief Transport Officer
Within delegated authority, the Associate Transport Ofﬁcer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Acts as the Regional Coordinator for the Transport Unit and is responsible for supporting the mission Sector Motor Transport Ofﬁcers (MTOs) to include the provision of procedural guidance about policy and best practices, the facilitation of support/supply requests, the reinforcement of employee development and appraisal,
- Participates in the development and implementation of the Vehicle Establishment Program by the decisions of the Mission Vehicle Establishment Committee and the current Department of Peacekeeping Operations/Departrnent of Field Support policies and directives on the acquisition, receipt, distribution. maintenance, utilisation and disposal of the surface transport ﬂeet;
- Participates in the development and implementation of the Ml5SiDl’l Vehicle Acquisition Plan, the Mission Vehicle Maintenance Plan and the Mission Vehicle Recovery Plan to ensure that a ﬁeld mission ﬂeet is opﬁmised to meet operational requirements;
- Participates in the development and implementation of the Active Road Accident Prevention and Road Safety Programs for a ﬁeld mission; Participates in the development and implementation of a cost— effective plan for the surface transport resupply within regions/ sectors in a ﬁeld mission, determining the appropriate means of transport including outsourcing activities:
- Supervises regional transport office and ensures eﬁtcientinventoiy control and accurate physical annual chedrs of vehicles and equipment. Liaises with other UN units/sections. non-government and government organisations and intergovernmental agencies on surface transport matters;
- Participates in the development and implementation of standard operating procedures tor surface transport regional operations in a ﬁeld mission;
- Determines in consultation with the supervisor, the technical sepecifictions for goods and services, reviews responses to bids and conducts technical evaluations to ensure that vendor’s proposals meettedinioal requirements;
- Supports the Regional Transport Officers (RTO) in coordinating the requisition process with purchasing authorities;
- Oversees contracts for the provision of goods and services and evaluates vendor’s performance in coordination with the Contracts
- Management Unit and/or the Procurement Section;
- Participates in monitoring quality control/quality assurance procedures ensuring that they are implemented and that the work processes comply with the established regulatory regime;
- Ensures that UN vehicles are used following UN regulations and lines, and that vehicle usage data is correctly recorded. Ensures the accuracy and validity of data recorded in the management information systems:
- Participates in various hold mission administrative bodies such as the Local Committee on Contracts, tho Vehicle Establishment Committee, the Tender Committee, the Local Property Survey Board, the Advisory Committee on Traffic Safety and the Boards of Inquiry, as appropriate;
- Participates, in collaboration with insurance specialists, in resolving problems related to insurance policies tor surface transport;
- Participates in the development of the Transport Unit‘s/Sections Stafﬁng Table;
- Supports the Regional Transport Ofﬁce in the management of the allocation and rotation of appropriate work assignments;
- Coordinates the Unit’s annual budget proposal, annual work plans and performance assessments:
- Supervises personnel under the area oi responsibility and evaluates staff perfonnanoe. Ensures compliance with UN policies
- Supports the development and implementation ol the Transport Sections Training Plan; coordinates with UNHO training courses, workshops and other related training activities; ‘
- Performs other related duties as required on workplace safety and environmental protection;
- Professionalism: Strong administrative/managerial background and substantive experience in all front office focal operations; good working knowledge of budget management, ﬁnandal transactions and logistics operations; strong analytical skills and good capacity to measure target output and tasks; sound judgment in applying expertise to resolve a range of issues/problems, completing irruption analyses and formulating conclusions/ recommendations; result oriented and ability to accurately prioritized work/tasks; ability to provide administrative guidance to new junior staff: commitment to implementing the goal of gender quality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of peace operations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively listens to others, correctly interprals messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarity and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing Information and keeping other informed.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clents’ and seeks to see things from clients‘ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identiﬁes clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the dianls’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced University Degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, or any closely related ﬁeld is required.
- A first-level University Degree in combination with an additional four (4) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced University Degree Additional study or training in operations and Logistics Management is desirable.
- At least two (2) years of progressively relevant experience in the case of a master’s degree, in Logistics Management. Administration or a closely related area is required
- A minimum of four (4) years progressively relevant experience in the case of a bachelors degree, in Logistics Management Administration or a closely related area is required
- A combination of professional training certiﬁcation and experience in transport operations management/administration is desirable experience Experience with the United Nations or an International organisation is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the advertised post, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Signed Personal History Proﬁle (visit inspira.un.org generate a PHP) Latest performance evaluation report Copies of your highes/certiﬁcate and diplomas
This position is funded for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension of MONUSCO‘s mandate The position is OPEN T0 NATIONALS OF UGANDA AND/ OR LEGAL RESIDENTS OF UGANDA ONLY. Evaluation of qualiﬁed candidates will include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply using a Personal History Proﬁle (visit inspira.un.org to generate a PHP) as soon as possible alter the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org WILL BE CONSIDERED. NO HAND-DELIVERED APPLICATIONS WILL. BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE ENTER THE REFERENCE OF THE JOB OPENING IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR E-MAIL. All documents required must be provided at the time of submission. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. lnitial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following Submission. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SHDRTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FURTHER.