- Company: M-KOPA Solar Ltd
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative Jobs in Uganda
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Kampala, Dar es Salaam, London, and Hong Kong, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers. Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 650,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 600 new homes each day. The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for US $0.50-$1.00,or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
Job Summary: The Commercial Director will assist the Managing Director in driving commercial growth of the business and overseeing key strategic and operational areas of the business, with direct management of respective business units.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Drive Customer Growth and Retention
- Lead the Uganda commercial teams and sales force to drive customer and revenue growth
- Drive the strategic commercial direction of the business, including around commercial products, market segments, sales channels, sales force structure, and sales force management
- Push continuous improvement in the operations and management of the commercial parts of the business
- Be an inspiring and strong leader within the overall M-KOPA business, both at the executive level, but also in the field with the sales team.
- Help drive both strategic and operational discussions within the commercial business that lead to innovation and delivering on results
- Lead and manage multiple operational business units and set and track smart and relevant objectives and key results together with the line managers to optimize business results
Foster Strategic Partnerships
- Create and manage key strategic partnerships that enable innovation and commercial success
- Derive and manage commercial pilots with partnerships that enable further business improvement
- Drive business to continuously perform across their objectives and key results
- Drive deep into problem areas of the business and help find innovative solutions
- Manage teams through disciplined processes and a focus on personal and professional growth
- Be data driven in the analysis and decisions of commercial team
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- At least ten years of commercial team leadership and operations experience
- Capability for strategic decision making and demonstrated business acumen.
- Demonstrated success and leadership in commercial areas of sales, telesales, operational excellence, employee satisfaction, financial management
- Visible, proactive, personally involved leader with excellent organizational, influencing and cross-cultural communication skills both verbal and written, capable of engaging M-KOPA staff to deliver exceptional service.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems, work well with minimum supervision but be able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work and lead well under pressure.
- Strong ability to interact and inspire at both an executive level, as well as with a rural sales agent
All candidates should send their updated detailed copies of CVs and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Commercial Director
Please Note: Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion. This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.