- Company: Tugende
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Jobs in Uganda
Tugende is a technology enabled asset finance company. We provide an affordable path to ownership of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs. Our primary product is a lease to own motorcycle financing package which includes training, life and health insurance, and active support. Tugende currently serves over 8,000 active customers in Uganda through 190+ employees across 9 branches, and 6,000+ additional customers have already taken ownership. With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of earners in the informal sector, which will easily enable us to expand into other asset finance and value added services offerings in the near future.
Job Summary: The principal functions of the Deputy Human Resource Manager: Talent Planning & Acquisition will be:
1) To provide leadership and technical support for strategic human resources planning
2) Leading effective talent acquisition, and
3) Contributing to the successful delivery of all HR departmental initiatives and key functions as needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Company Manpower Planning: Responsible for developing, defining and implementing short and long term company annual manpower plans;
- Undertake and analyse manpower productivity and workforce measurement within the entire organisation.
- Work closely with departmental/ functional heads to understand their staffing requirements and make relevant recommendations.
- Create and monitor manpower and workforce planning models.
- Create annual recruitment plans based on current headcount, business strategy and budgets that feeds in the annual Human Resource work plan.
Talent Acquisition: Develop long-term effective recruiting strategies and nurture trusting relationships with potential hires, create strong talent pipelines for our ompany’s current and future hiring needs.
- Work with department heads to develop and refine job descriptions, announcements, post advertisements internally, on social media, and with other external recruitment agencies .
- Work with head of departments to develop assessment tools such as test questions, case studies, and rating standards within established procedures
- Support the hiring managers with the review of online applications, evaluation of qualifications of both internal and external candidates, conducting interviews to analyze candidate experience and fit, and developing shortlists of potential candidates.
- Ensure reference checks and background checks of selected candidates, are completed as required to inform hiring decisions.
- Recommend system improvements to current recruitment processes to ensure streamlined, cost effective, and high quality services.
- Track application flows and maintain a pipeline of qualified candidates for future consideration.
- Conduct informational interviews with potential candidates. Solicit and prioritize internal referrals.
- Develop and foster long-term relationships with past applicants and potential candidates on social media ( Facebook,Linkedin etc)
- Develop tools for enabling a smooth on-boarding process for new employees, and monitor the orientation process to confirm adherence to the orientation programs
- Conduct trainings for managers and other staff involved in the recruitment and selection process with regard to interviewing skills and ethical codes of conduct.
- Develop talent acquisition metrics to monitor the talent acquisition agenda, produce talent acquisition reports and identify areas of improvement in recruitment and selection processes.
Staff performance management : Oversees the performance evaluation process for staff on probation and provide advice and recommendations for change.
- Monitor the on-job training programs for all staff on probation to ensure that relevant trainings are delivered and required support is provided.
- Provide an ongoing oversight and support role to supervisors to ensure that performance measures being used are effectively manage operations, identify and manage risks, and effect the required behaviour and performance output from all new staff.
- Conduct training to all levels of staff on performance management and systems.
- Manage the entire probation performance evaluation process
Our activities encompass the entire HR spectrum, including:
- Involvement in the management of employee relations i.e staff discipline & grievance and general staff welfare
- HR- policy review & change management
- Support with the general performance management, staff development & learning ,HRI system and general administration
- Ensures all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to including but not limited to; office safety (proper office arrangement of files and equipment) among others.
NOTE: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities undertaken by jobholders of this position as it can be changed/amended/add other duties to job holder of this position from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Proven track record in manpower planning with at least 3 / 4 years experience
- MUST have strong analytic, statistical & database management, advanced excel, report making skills and microsoft packages i.e Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google suites.
- MUST have proficiency in using an HR management system
- Knowledge of Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) for recruitment
- Hands-on experience with full-cycle recruiting using various interview techniques such as online recruitment, video conferencing, Skype, assessment centers, psychometrics and modern evaluation methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrable ability to communicate passion and enthusiasm. The ideal candidate should be able to go into any setting and leave with new people excited about careers at Tugende, and bring the same enthusiasm to written communications with applicants.
- Familiarity with social media, resume databases and professional networks
- Ability to develop and keep strong relationships with the hiring managers in order to understand and appreciate the needs of the manager and the requirements and expectations of the job.
- Leadership and managerial skills
Qualification and Work Experience:
- The applicant should possess an advanced degree in Human Resource Management, Industrial/ Organizational Psychology, Business Psychology, or any other related field.
- Minimum of 3-years hands on experience in manpower planning, Talent Acquisition and professional human resources generalist in a large organisation
- Direct experience developing, implementing or evaluating performance appraisal systems and measures.
- Two years’ experience at recruitment speciality level of the role is a MUST.
- Membership to HR professional body such as (MCIPD, SHRM, etc is an added advantage
Personal Attributes and Abilities:
- Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of the departmental output and Tugende as a company.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for the departmental success
- Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across departments/units in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Effective Oral and Written Communication: Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Professionalism and maintaining the Tugende Employer Brand: Maintains professionalism when corresponding and negotiating with partners/suppliers. In addition being Empathetic and personable when dealing with applicants.
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
Soft skills that align with Tugende core values:
The successful candidate must embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
- We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, Highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience)
- We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage, Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership)
- We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunity based on merit)
- We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking)
- We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable and Supportive)
WHAT WILL YOU GAIN?
Career Trajectory: This is a senior role with significant potential to grow as the company and the Human Resource Department grows. The person in this role can be promoted to Human Resource Manager, Training & Development Manager, Head of Human Resources, Chief of Staff, will get the opportunity to manage recruitments projects in the East African region and work with great people across multiple countries and teams
Learning Points: In this position you will be able to promote a business culture that employees can buy into so that they become more motivated and work more passionately to make Tugende a success, boost your knowledge and understanding of modern human resource principles and practices. Learn more on how to manage key HR- functions and legal legislation compliance in the East African region. Master the skills of stakeholder engagement/ management in a dynamic environment, communication, Interpersonal, multitasking and planning skills that are useful and transferable to so many jobs within Tugende and other organizations and learn how to do research and different information delivery styles (e.g. the difference in delivery of information to Senior Management and Direct reports)
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are helping people take control of their economic future and move up the economic ladder. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 190+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 7th December 2018