- Company: Diageo
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Uganda
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, beer and wine. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, J&B, Windsor, Buchanan’s and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Ciroc and Ketel One vodkas, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and Guinness.
UBL operates in a market, which is dominated by a wide mix of product brands. It is important that UBL maintains the lead in the Quality of its products in order to remain competitive and to maintain the DIAGEO brands reputation. UBL has established Quality, Food safety, environmental and Occupational health and Safety policies that ensure effective management of Quality, Food safety, environment and Occupational health and Safety. These policies have to be adhered to so as to ensure total control and Brand Protection at all times.
Job Summary: The Legal Manager – Uganda Breweries Limited (UBL) will mainly enable UBL to achieve its business objectives in a legally compliant way while unlocking commercial opportunity through good practice. The incumbent will preserve value (financial and reputational) by minimising the risk of value leakage and litigation and maintaining compliance with laws and UBL’s Codes. The jobholder will support UBL in developing best practice corporate governance. The incumbent will also ensure the Function’s activities are prioritised and the Function is staffed internally and externally to maximise UBL’s business objectives and performance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively provide commercial and pragmatic legal advice and solutions for all aspects of UBL’s business.
- Being a lead driver in ensuring that Diageo/EABL’s codes and policies are adhered to as well as driving sustainable behaviours where the local laws may be less rigorous than the codes and policies, including provision of on point training.
- Management of day to day issues including
- Drafting and helping to administer contracts covering the whole spectrum of the business, employment matters, litigation, regulatory issues, product liability and counterfeit products, IP support for Group brands and appropriate liaison on Diageo owned brands, as applicable; Marketing Code review of advertising and promotions.
- Providing assistance to the EABL Company Secretary in managing UBL Board, Board Committee and General Meetings;
- Responsible for ensuring good corporate governance including advising on best practice and training across a number of functions.
- With the assistance of Diageo Global Compliance and Diageo Legal Function the Legal Counsel is responsible for aspects of the Company’s compliance agenda.
- Review current processes and ways of working with the aim to embed proactive and commercial legal support for UBL in particular in the context of being a part of EABL and Diageo and with the context that UBL has only recently had direct legal support.
- Work closely with the Diageo Legal Function (and Diageo Company Secretary Function, where applicable) to take advantage of appropriate functional experience and support
- Top 3-5 Accountabilities:
- Function as a highly effective legal and business partner.
- Ensure that the Legal Function is an integral part of the UBL and EABL business (including visibility in market) so it receives appropriate commercial and other functional inputs.
- Embed functional best practice in the Group.
- Achieve the right balance between hands on “doing” of legal work, managing external lawyers and training of staff on relevant topics.
- Be a proactive member of the UBL Extended Leadership team
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Diageo job placement must hold formal legal qualifications and training as required by law to work as a legal practitioner in Uganda.
- A minimum of four years of post qualification experience as a lawyer.
- Strong commercial law background especially in the negotiation and documentation of commercial contracts relevant to the Group’s business and giving advice in relation to marketing, sales and promotion activities. Preferably in house experience.
- A good working knowledge of the following legal areas – contracts, product liability, IP, employment, antitrust, litigation, corporate governance.
- Strong, analytical, drafting and negotiating skills.
- Open and outward looking attitude.
- Ability to work confidently and stand ground with more senior managers.
- Strong commercial and pragmatic approach.
- Strong coaching and leadership skills.
- Ability to impact and influence upwards.
If you desire to join the world’s leading premium drinks business, Diageo, in the aforementioned capacity, please click web link below.