- Company: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
- Location: Entebbe, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Entebbe, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within the delegated authority, the Finance Officer is responsible for the following duties:
- Provide advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars;
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained;
- Manage a unit within Finance Section, encompassing several funding sources, large volume of transactions, and extensive dispersed activities;
- Monitor that proposed obligations or disbursements for services, supplies and equipment, as well as those pertaining to personnel, are in accordance with UN Financial Regulations and Rules, relevant appropriations and staffing tables and corresponding approved allotments;
- Analyze and review monthly financial statements prior to submission to UN Headquarters (UNHQ) to ensure correctness and completeness of the financial statements;
- Review and verify that bank reconciliations are completed on a monthly basis for all RSCE managed bank accounts;
- Review payments, advances and interoffice charges on the basis of proper supporting vouchers and other documents which indicate that the goods and services have been received;
- Prepare monthly cash projections. Verify periodic cash counts from the Cashier’s imprest or other petty cash funds for submission in monthly reporting;
- Prepare responses to internal/external audit observations;
- Produce major/complex, and ad hoc financial reports for management purposes;
- Take initiative to improve accounting processes and controls.
- Participate in the implementation of the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System;
- Act as board member in property survey boards, local committee of contracts, or any other local boards as directed by the Service Delivery Manager.
- Manage the staff under his/her supervision and evaluate and monitor their performance;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) Finance Officer job placement should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in finance, business administration, accounting, economics or other finance related discipline is required. A first level university degree in the above-mentioned fields with a combination of relevant academic qualifications (certification/training in finance/Accountancy) and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional certification/accreditation as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant or by a similar professional body is highly desirable.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in Accounting and Financial reporting, finance, including significant responsibilities in the management of financial resources and reporting thereof required
- Knowledge of internal control systems is required. Experience in the use of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems, specifically Umoja (SAP) is desirable
- Previous experience in applying International Accounting Standards such as IPSAS, IFRS or similar accruals based accounting standards to financial reporting is also desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in English is required. A working knowledge of French is desirable.
- Professionalism: Effectiveness in implementing accounting policies, procedures and new programs; ability to provide seasoned effective specialized advice in a broad range of financial, areas to Head of Office/Mission, and to Headquarters and senior mission staff; ability to ensure adequate preparation of reports or rationale with respect to key logistic and administrative decisions; strong negotiation and conflict-resolution skills. Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility of delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 12th December 2018