- Company: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Support Services Manager will provide efficient and effective financial, administrative and supply chain management according to DRC’s internal and donor procedures, as per the Operations Handbook. The position will work under the NURI Rural Infrastructure and Water Resource Management Interventions and be responsible for all aspects of financial management and control, including effective financial reporting in a timely, accurate, relevant and informative manner and will also manage the project audit. She/he will be responsible for the general administrative duties including HR, procurement and logistics.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Accounting / Finance
- To maintain cashbooks as recommended and ensure timely submission.
- Monitor systems for financial operations in all field offices in accordance with the Global DRC Operations Handbook and Local Finance Manual and donor regulations, including systems for cash flow management, budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting, financial record-keeping and compliance.
- Maintain banking relations, plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of DRC NURI project.
- To monitor the petty cash handled by the finance staff.
- Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the Area Managers and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Area Managers.
- Develop and maintain local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
- Analyse compensation packages, taxation requirements and human resource policies for local staff to ensure that DRC has adequately planned for of local staff compensation and benefits.
- Oversee management of insurance coverages for DRC staff and properly.
- To ensure timely payment of salaries, and all suppliers/partners’ invoices by finance.
- To supervise the preparation of vouchers and related invoices.
- To ensure cash counts cash are at least done once per week with the admin/finance officer, and at the end of each month before closing accounts.
- To monitor cash flow and liquidity of the NURI project.
- To prepare quality financial reports for HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors.
- To compile the accounting and financial data for the monthly report.
- To prepare the monthly accounting report as required by the DRC Uganda, regional office and HQ.
- To maintain a timely and proper organization of the accounting supporting documents into files according to DRC requirements.
- To report on Support Services Key Performance Indicators.
Budget, Financial Management and Control
- To ensure that a financial and administrative related information is accurate and is well maintained. This includes an overall planning, budget and control of expenditures for shared operational costs, but also coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to programme implementation.
- To prepare the cash transfer’s request for HQ whenever needed.
- To update and share regularly the financial documents, allowing an accurate/timely/safe financial management of the programme.
- Implement all relevant financial control tools within the country programme.
- Ensure DRC procurement guidelines are adhered to.
- Actively engage and support the program teams in procurement planning to ensure timely delivery of project inputs and activities.
- In liaison with Country Office Kampala, identify, negotiate and implement contract & framework agreements which result in efficiencies in line with financial and forecasting requirements.
- Maintain accurate auditable records of all procurement process which result in high process compliance.
- Administer contract performance, including delivery, receipt, warranty, damages and insurance.
- Plan and engage with Project Managers to understand contract specifications and with suppliers to develop a profile of delivery capability which results in effective market engagement.
- Conduct efficient and collaborative procurements which are DRC and donor compliant (advice, tendering, evaluation award & contract management) and which result in a high value adding commercial outcome.
- Build supplier, category and market understanding through performance management, research and stakeholder briefings which result in the management of commercial issues throughout the procurement cycle.
Management, Monitoring & Capacity Building
- Supervise administration tasks in NURI project. This includes human resources, IT, procurement and logistics.
- To train, support, supervise and monitor the finance staff ensuring that HQ/donor procurement guidelines are followed.
- To organise the administrative work and distribute administrative tasks.
- To report on administrative achievements to the Head of Support Services.
- To supervise internal and external audits and implements corrective actions related to the DRC standards for operations.
- Lead in training plan and training needs assessments as part of improving compliance with DRC standards. This includes on-the-job training, instructions and relevant follow up measures, as well as the design and conduct of more topic-bound training sessions.
- Lead in systems development and roll out of systems already developed in close cooperation and coordination with DRC’s Regional office and headquarters. This includes tools for monitoring shared expenditures.
- Act as the DRC Uganda Code of Conduct and accountability focal point.
- To share and coordinate the administration and finance information with the Head of Support Services and other senior staff.
- Where needed to attend the meetings organized internally as well as those arranged by relevant donors and NGOs on administration and finance.
- Any other duties as agreed with the Head of Support Services.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Support Services Manager job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Financial, Accounting, Commerce – mandatory
- Professional qualification ACCA, CPA or similar – mandatory
- Post graduate degree is desirable
- A minimum of eight years of relevant work experience in INGOs with a focus on financial management.
- Five years of relevant experience in a developing country.
- Relevant work experience from Northern Uganda.
- Proven ability in the implementation of large-scale programs.
- Experience with cash transfer programs, particularly cash for work.
- High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, and with well-developed problem-solving skills.
- Ability to cope with heavy workloads and to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent management, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with limited supervision
- Strong information technology skills.
- Experience working with an ERP system is desirable.
- Excellent Communication skills in English required.
All candidates should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 7th December 2018