- Company: Lifewater International
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
Lifewater is a Christian water development organization dedicated to effectively serving vulnerable children and families by partnering with underserved communities to overcome water poverty. Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, we serve the least and last as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love for all people. Lifewater serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.
Job Summary: The Accounts Assistant is mainly responsible for modelling the highest levels of standard technical accounting and providing the Country Office leaders and staff with the best advice on technical finance management, budgeting, and accounting aspects of program operations, especially during planning, design, implementation, monitoring, and reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process monthly Income Tax, Provident and Pension Contribution, Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and Insurance including office assets, office assets and staff health insurance
- Prepare monthly payroll and effect payments in the absence of cashier
- Post transactions in selected accounting program.
- Reconcile and maintain balance sheet accounts.
- Provide all relevant financial data to project management team on a monthly basis
- Work with country office finance unit to ensure that accurate reports are in place in order to enable a thorough understanding of the current financial position and support forward planning and decision making including activity versus budget line reporting system by project, country budget and funding gap analysis by project.
- Produce electronic monthly reports for LI in-country office and HQ and ensure that reconciliation actions are agreed upon
- Take part in procurements ( service and materials/product)
- Work with FAM to ensure that direct activity and administration costs are accurate and expenditures are in line with the agreed Country Office budget
- Work with the FAM to ensure that all donor budgets are mapped out as per specific requirements.
- Ensure that all budgets are utilized according to the approved document
- Prepare books of accounts for internal and external audit in time.
- Provide acknowledgment receipts for financial wires from LI HQ to project accounts
- Assist FAM in compiling data for Country Office financial reports.
- Support fixed assets documentation, inventory and reporting.
- Provide weekly briefs to FAM.
- Carry out any other responsibilities assigned by CD/FAM or any other members of Senior Management at country Office
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce (Finance and Accounting option), Business Administration (Finance and Accounting option) or equivalent from a recognized University Or: Diploma in Business Studies/Accountancy and over 4 years working experience in Book keeping
- Relevant training in excel, accounting software such as QuickBooks preferred
- Ability to use the internet, e-mail, and Microsoft Office Suite
- At least three years of working experience preferably with a reputable International NGO.
- Excellent practical knowledge of financial accounting and financial report development.
- Ability to use financial and accounting software applications (QuickBooks is a MUST)
- Experience of data analysis and commenting on variances between actual and budgeted expenditure.
- Excellent understanding of the reporting requirements of Senior Managers plus ability to convey financial concepts to non-financial staff.
- Experience in managing Staff health insurance schemes, PAYE, NSSF, GPA, provident fund.
- Demonstrated experience managing master budgets with many different funding streams
- Must be a born again Christian, able to cope with cross-cultural and denominational diversities
- Possesses an energetic, flexible and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and cooperatively within a team setting
- Well organized and efficient in time management amidst task pressure
- Commitment to the core values of Lifewater International
- Strong team working skills and ability to develop and maintain effective working relations at all levels both within and outside the team
- Ability to contribute towards resource stewardship
- Excellent command of the English language, Analytical & Report writing skills.
- High degree of personal integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Punctual, honest, dependable, servant leader, trust worthy, encourager, peace keeper, multi-tasking, and self-starter
- Ability to attend to detail, focus on quality and spot errors or mistakes at an early stage
All suitably qualified and interested applicants with relevant qualifications and experience, should submit their applications, detailed Curriculum vitae, copies of certificates/ testimonials and addresses of three (3) referees plus their day-time telephone contacts and email addresses to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday 7th December 2018 by 5 .00pm
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.