- Company: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Registration Assistant will provide support in biometrically verifying all refugees using finger prints or iris scans in Rhino camp, Imvepi, Oruchinga, Bidibidi, Palorinya and Palabek refugee settlements as well as in Kampala prior to opening bank accounts and issuing bank cards to all the eligible refugees. The assignment will be fully based and completed from the each of the locations and will hence require field presence for the duration of the assignment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Render support in the implementation of biometric verification procedures as indicated in the guidelines for accounts opening and card issuance
- Provide counselling to, and respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s biometric verification procedures for accounts opening and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individuals verified for account opening
- The incumbent will also identify persons with specific needs and ensure that they are prioritised during accounts opening.
- Ensure that persons with complaints are referred to the complaints desk for support in a timely manner.
- Draft correspondence and reports relating to biometric verification activities related to accounts opening, when required.
- Provide statistics and draft reports in relation to those who have been biometrically verified, as requested
- Act as interpreter and translator when needed
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Registration Assistant career opportunity should have completed Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Social science, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology, or related fields.
- At least five years of relevant job experience.
- Good computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
- Training in basic principles of international protection is desired
- Previous experience in working with UNHCR proGres software
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 10th December 2018