- Company: The Embassy of Ireland in Uganda
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
The Embassy of Ireland in Uganda was opened in 1994, and serves the purpose of advancing relations between Ireland and Uganda and representing Ireland’s values and interests in Uganda. Ireland’s current strategy (2016-2020) for Uganda is guided by our foreign policy, The Global Island, Ireland’s Foreign Policy for a Changing World’, and Ireland’s policy for international development, ‘One World One Future’. The strategy covers the breadth of the Embassy’s work including consular and visa services, cultural promotion, trade and investment promotion, political engagement, and the development cooperation programme, which is closely aligned to the Government of Uganda’s second National Growth and Development Plan.
Job Summary: The Head of Finance reports to the Ambassador, with a secondary reporting line to the Financial Controller in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Headquarters in Ireland. The Head of Finance is a key member of the senior management team and he/she works closely with the Head of Development, Second Secretary, Administration and Programme Staff at the Embassy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing and implementing the financial management system and system of internal financial control;
- As a member of the Embassy’s Senior Management Team, s/he will input into Mission decision making processes, including ensuring the effective and efficient management of resources;
- Actively participate in Mission multi annual and annual budgeting; risk management, ensuring value for money;
- Accurate and complete recording of the financial transactions for the Embassy and Aid programme;
- Provision of timely financial management information and reports to senior management within the Embassy and headquarters in Ireland;
- Ensuring the Embassy is in compliance with all documented control procedures, local taxes and other regulatory payments and relevant accounting standards;
- Ensuring systems are in place to safeguard the Embassy/ programme assets;
- Providing technical financial support to aid programme advisors, including budgeting, financial reporting, organisational capacity assessment of partners, close out processes and periodic operational and risk assessments of partners and Embassy processes;
- Supervision and development of finance unit staff at the Embassy.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Embassy of Ireland Head of Finance job placement must hold an internationally recognised professional accounting qualification e.g. ACCA or CIMA;
- At least three years of post-qualification experience, preferably in a financial management and control role;
- Experience in the use of financial management accounting packages (knowledge of Infor Sun System would be a strong advantage);
- Proficiency in the Microsoft suite of applications;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills including managing, interpreting, and manipulating large data sets;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and think laterally in dealing with a wide range of financial issues;
- Ability to manage staff and deliver results through a team;
- Strong interpersonal; communication; and negotiation skills with staff and partners;
- High motivation with a proven ability to work with minimal supervision;
- A very high standard of personal integrity;
- A high standard in English, both spoken and written;
- Previous experience with an international organisation is desirable but not essential;
- Strong background and knowledge of government regulations and laws, public sector accounting and financial procedures and regulations surrounding international funding is desirable.
Deadline: Wednesday 19th December 2018 by 4:30pm