- Company: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Location: Kampala, Central Region, Uganda
- State: Kampala, UG
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials and suppliers to exchange information.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Finance Assistant will assist newly arriving or departing international staff members on opening/closing bank account; process their entitlement upon assignment.
- Compile and verify budget and accounting data by checking files, calculating expenditure and estimating projections.
- Issue PO and non-PO vouchers including monthly salaries of UNHCR national and international staff, daily subsistence allowance to staff going on official missions, cost of air-tickets, requisitions of goods and services based on agreements with the suppliers, office running common cost, rental and salary advances, lease agreements of UNHCR offices, etc.
- Process on-line bank transfers ensuring that bank accounts of staff and suppliers are complete.
- Work closely with other functional units who work closely with Finance Unit on relevant issues.
- If applicable, may be required to assist in the preparation of the VAT refund submissions and monitoring of the reimbursable amounts
- Maintain efficient and timely archiving system of physical and electronic files to ensure that all documents are accounted for.
- May be assigned as the custodian of the office petty-cash.
- Draft routine correspondence.
- Perform any other related tasks as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Financial transactions and reconciliations are processed in line with relevant policies and procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Finance Assistant job placement should have completed Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related field
- At least three years of previous job experience relevant to the functions.
- Good computer skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language.
- Knowledge of MSRP PeopleSoft application or similar software.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, regulations, procedures and processes.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 10th December 2018