Organization: Action Africa Help – International
Closing date: 17 May 2019
Reports to: Finance Manager
Staff reporting to this post: Finance Officers (Field and Country Office)
Liaises with: Project Manager/Director, Programme Area Managers, Senior/manager HR and Admin Officer, Senior/manager Procurement Officer
Duty Station: Kampala
The Senior Finance Officer will be responsible for implementing AAH Uganda Programme financial policies and procedures. The position will assist the Finance Manager in reviewing and updating the policies and procedures based on the needs generated from the field offices or donor requirements.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the Programme Area Managers to prepare budgets based on planned project activities using the approved finance guidelines or given donor regulations.
- Prepare budget realignments/adjustments in collaboration with the Finance manager.
- Monitor project expenditures via monthly/weekly etc. Budget vs Actual variance reports and flag any issue of concern to both budget line managers, Finance Manager Programme Area Manager and engage them to address these issues in line with monthly budget vs actual report performance.
- Post entries into the accounting system using approved funds/budget codes to aid monthly finance report generation for all projects in line with AAH reporting protocols.
- Prepare and submit accurate monthly AAH Uganda and Donor finance reports by the 8th of every month with all the attachments like Balance sheet, Trial balance, Bank reconciliations, Cash reconciliations, Debtor & Creditor reconciliations, Project inter transfer reconciliations and aging report to the Finance Manager for review.
- Provide bank balances every afternoon on Friday and every week and whenever such is needed including the field balances.
- Review all bank reconciliations in line with AAH financial and GAAP guidelines.
- Fully facilitate project audit processes with support from the Finance Manager and field finance team.
- Carry out at least 6 routine field visits and spot checks to verify accounts, inventory records in the system and on file documents to ensure that they are in line with AAH procurement and accounting policies and donor guidelines.
- Prepare and carry out staff timely and accurate appraisals to all the staff reporting to her/him and also participate in the recruitment, recommendation, overseeing and training processes to all staff reporting to her/him.
- Closely work with the banks on all bank transactions, e- banking, changing of signatories and any other duties as may be assigned to you by the supervisor.
- Finance and Accounting systems are maintained and up to date.
- Compliance to all organizational and legal requirements.
- Bank and Cash statements reconciled and up to date.
- Project audits supported and gaps closed.
- Financial reports from the field are received on time and submitted to the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Programme Area Managers and Project Officers are able to accurately and timely monitor and report on their budgets.
- Cash flow is monitored and maintained at acceptable levels.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Savings made due to proper management of income and expenditure.
- Spend is within the budgets.
- Reduced staff debtors.
- Timely reports to Country Finance and Administration Manager.
- Timely payroll preparation, tax and other statutory remittances.
- Number of capacity building sessions held for Area Managers and Project Officers on financial management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Accounting, Commerce or Finance.
- Full Professional qualifications in Finance and Accounting (Membership of ACCA or CPA).
- At least 3 years’ work experience in finance management. Experience working in an NGO is an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Understanding of computer applications in respect to accounting, budgeting and cash control. As a minimum, this would include an understanding of MS Office.
- A good command of both written and spoken English.
- High degree of integrity and analytical skills.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should email application letters and CVs (with 3 suitable referees, their telephone contacts an emails.) addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received by 17th May, 2019. The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for. AAH-I is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank candidates for their high interest in the opportunities we publish on our website. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only get back to shortlisted candidates. AAH-U does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.