Organization: Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa
Closing date: 02 Jul 2019
Justification for the training.
Women’s self-defense training particularly has been excluded from sexual violence prevention efforts by many agencies for a variety of reasons, including concerns that it is ineffective, encourages victim blaming, neglects acquaintance assault, and does not target the underlying factors that facilitate sexual violence. SIHA however argue that these critiques are misguided, founded on (1) misunderstandings of self-defense training, (2) stereotypes about gender, and (3) individualistic assumptions about the impact of self-defense. Empowerment-based self-defense training helps to change the root conditions that allow violence against women to flourish. For all these reasons, and because recent research has built a case for its effectiveness, SIHA thus argue that women’s empowerment-based self-defense training should be part of any sexual violence prevention effort. It’s against this argument that SIHA intends to create a platform and opportunities for inspiration of women to join leadership positions at all levels and as well have defensive mechanism against perpetuators of assault and gender based violence.
The purpose of this assignment is to:
- To train 150 women vendors of Kampala on leadership and decision making skills to enable them take up leadership roles and political spaces within and around their societies.
- To train 150 women vendors on bodily integrity (self-defense, bodily protection, physical and mental health safety to improve their knowledge and skills on how they can better protect themselves from assault and abuse.
Scope of the work/ role summary
The Facilitator is required to conduct a participant’s needs assessment so as to deliver a tailored content and adopt appropriate training techniques;
- Deliver training for the women
- Produce a comprehensive analytical training report (as per SIHA training report guidelines) and all soft copies presentations.
- Produce an inception report with clear methodology,
- Produce Training plan, conduct pre and post-test, and evaluation sheet and submit for approval
- Produce a training content/guide informed by the needs assessment
- Organize and facilitate an empowering Leadership and Women’s self-defense (WSD) training using combination of techniques drawn from martial arts and assertiveness taught within different pedagogies.
- Produce analytical training report based on SIHA guidelines and including key outputs of training, results of training post-tests and evaluation and any recommendations.
The training shall be customized and participatory ensuring that all targeted women equally engage in and benefit from it by using tools that will enable women feel more confident in all areas of their lives.
The training for the groups will be phased to allow meaningful participation of street vendors; the schedules for the training should be discussed and agreed with the group leaders and in consultation with SIHA staff on ground. The facilitator shall create a platform and opportunities for inspiration of women to join leadership positions at all levels and as well have defensive mechanism against perpetuators of assault and gender based violence.
Categories of Participants
· Participants for this training shall be 150 women street vendors from Kampala central and Kawempe division comprising of 60 members from Bwaise –Kawempe, 45 from Naguru and 45 from Wandegeya. Each group shall undergo 2 days training ( 1 day for leadership , and 1 day for bodily integrity/ self-defence training)
Technical Proposal: Activities and Duration
· In line with Terms of Reference, we propose 5 days for this assignment**; 1** day is for preparation, 3 days for delivering the training and 1 day for report writing and compilation, from 8th July 2019 to 12th July 2019 of which the trainer fee is guaranteed.
Payments and benefits
- Payment to the Trainer shall be made in two instalments. The schedule shall be agreed upon by SIHA and the trainer before contract signing.
Qualification and Experience
- Education: Relevant degree in a field of development studies, Social Sciences, and any other related course.
Consultants Key Skills: The ideal Consultant will have knowledge of and proven expertise on the following;
· Experience in conducting training on basic women rights, gender, leadership skills for persons working in the informal labor market
· Exceptional experience in conducting Women’s self-defense (WSD) training using combination of techniques drawn from martial arts and assertiveness taught within different pedagogies.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Contextual knowledge and experience of vulnerable women in Kampala
· Fluent in Luganda, English and or Luo.
How to apply:
- Interested Candidates are requested to provide their current CV and Cover Letter, expressing her/his motivation in applying and relevant experience/expertise, in relation to the assignment by July 2nd 2019 at 4pm**, EAT**.
- Please attach the training Plan along with your application
- Please enter “**Application Materials: Coalition Building Consultancy**” to SIHA’s Human Resources Department: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org