Closing date: 06 Aug 2019
DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for an experienced and energetic Head of Humanitarian Operations to be overall responsible for its humanitarian activities in northern Uganda. The position is a 12-month position, with possibility of extension, including a 3-month probationary period. The duty station is Yumbe in West Nile, with accommodation and office provided by DCA. The Head of Humanitarian Operations is member of the Senior Management Team of DCA Uganda.
DCA has worked in West Nile region with humanitarian response to the South Sudanese refugee influx since September 2016, and has established a humanitarian program with 75 staff and three offices including the main field office in Yumbe town. The program has a focus on innovation and includes cash transfer programming, environment and energy, livelihoods and vocational training, with DCA being an IP for UNHCR in the refugee settlements. DCA works with a Nexus approach and we have a cross cutting focus on gender, youth and the Human Rights Approach. DCA engages with both private sector, government institutions, local partners and CBOs as well as other fellow INGOs.
The position reports to the Country Director in Kampala and as Head of Humanitarian Operations, you will be responsible for all issues of program delivery, management, finance, HR, procurement & logistics, security and admin with regards to DCAs humanitarian and self-implementation work.
The main responsibilities include:
- Strategic and innovative program development and delivery of services of high standard. This includes timely monitoring, reporting and evaluation of all activities to relevant donors.
- Providing leadership and management to a diverse and qualified staff with a focus on accountability and transparency.
- Overall responsibility for financial and HR management, procurement & logistics, security and admin for DCAs humanitarian operations.
- Donor liaison and representation in all relevant local for a as well as active engagement with private sector and other relevant stakeholders.
- Fundraising, including program and project design and leading the development of project proposals.
- Capacity building and work with DCA partners and CBOs, currently being supported to take on more responsibility for the delivery of services.
We expect the following qualifications and competences from you:
- Master degree in relevant field, post graduate qualifications preferred.
- Experienced manager, able to provide clear leadership and qualified mentoring of staff.
- At least 5 years’ working experience in emergency response management, including experience in complex political emergencies, preferably in Africa.
- Good knowledge of the thematic areas of the programme (see above).
- Strong strategic planning, networking, coordination and communication skills.
- Excellent capacity to design project concepts, draft project outlines, proposals and budgets using the logical framework approach.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Be a self-starter, able to set priorities, identify risks and opportunities.
- Be able to produce results under pressure and with short deadlines.
- Work and build capacity of local partners and CBOs.
- A 12-month contract with the possibility of extension.
- Competitive remuneration with a 12 percent contribution to pension.
- Full insurance, transport and accommodation while in country.
- 2,5 days of holiday accrued per month, 5 days R&R every three months.
This is a non-accompanied posting.
Starting date: as soon as possible
DanChurchAid is a faith-based, non-missionary relief and development organization based in Copenhagen, Denmark, and founded in 1922. Our key competencies are food security and food crisis response, humanitarian cash transfer programming, civil society development and humanitarian mine action. DCA is a member of the ACT Alliance, which is a faith-based, non-missionary humanitarian alliance, and one of the five largest NGO Alliances in the world with a combined turnover of over 1.5 billion USD annually. For more on DCA, please be referred to www.danchurchaid.org
How to apply:
Please apply through DCA’s e-recruiting system. Do not delay; we will be screening qualified applications as they arrive. This positing closes on 06.08.2019. Please apply through this link: https://www.danchurchaid.org/join-us/jobs/international-vacancies/head-of-humanitarian-operations-west-nile-uganda
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy. All interested persons, regardless of age, gender, disability, religion or ethnicity, are encouraged to apply for the post.